Tuesday 15 May 2018

The ride continues

Remarkably I am sitting on my balcony typing this post.  I know it's been a while since I last posted but at least I waited long enough for the heat to finally kick the snow and cold out.  It's going to be 29 today...29? Seriously. Anything can happen.  In weather, in life.

Over the past couple months I had been feeling the weight in my head increase and saw a bit more double vision to the right side.  Not massive, but enough to throw my balance off more than usual - maybe like a step up from the Tilt a Whirl to the Polar Express at the amusement park rides.  So I guess I wasn't shocked but just disappointed when my MRI results I got last week confirmed there has been progression of the disease in the brain. I didn't have the spine scanned this time so not sure what's going on in there but the brain changes were enough to change treatment up.  I'm moving from my current 2 drugs every three weeks to one "combination" antibody/chemo given IV every three weeks and they got me in to start it the next day, Thursday afternoon. A new but relatively familiar set of side effects to watch for on this one. Nothing too serious so far from what I can feel - perhaps a bit more fatigue and numbness in my feet and legs. Hopefully the next MRI will show more holding on disease progression. On a positive note my CT of abdomen, pelvis and chest showed no issues so things are calm on that front.  Blood work is all good too.

Life has been so full in past weeks.  Some awesome visits from out of Calgary family.  Time with my family and friends in Calgary including my beautiful brother.  Painting, drawing and writing for my upcoming 21 event in June.  That event is actually happening, with some amazing support from Crescent Point Energy and Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (and Tasha!).  A short article published in Leap Magazine by Alberta Cancer Foundation took a refreshing creative angle on my usually long (Lord of the Rings long) story - take a look .  So much positive energy.

The good stuff kept rolling this past weekend when I rode up to Edmonton with mom (Happy Mother's Day!) and dad and was awarded my Fellow at the CPA Alberta Elevate awards.  Friends and former colleagues Jill and Yvette had put together the massive nomination forms and support letters and were there to see me wobble the stage to accept my new certificate. It was an overwhelming night - such an amazing event and shower of recognition amongst hundreds of accomplished people. If you're on LinkedIn there's a few shots of the evening - try the link.  I'm so grateful.  There are just so many incredible people and moments out there to offset the challenges.

So the roller coaster ride continues.  A little warmer.  A little more unsteady. Just like at the amusement park, I've laughed more in the past weeks, but vomited more as well.  Hoping I can keep riding longer.  Thanks for your energy providing me an air bag for the sharp corners and upside-down loops.



Thrilled to attend with my Dad - 43 years as a CPA, CA

They hung our pics in the entry to the event

Our pics and thank you quotes scrolled through the night






10 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Dear Tricia,
Thank you for the new post and the pictures. Thanks also for the link to the Leap article. You were right---as you said, it was a very creative and positive angle on your long on-going ride. We continue to send lots of love and prayers as your ride continues. Your strength, courage, and love of life are amazing. You are a hero.

The upcoming 21 event in June is one we are all eager to attend. You are beyond incredible.

Love and prayers,
Mary Ellen and Bob
xoxoxoxo

BJ said...

Dear Tricia,
Thank you for the up date and the pictures. Also the link to the account of your journey.
We cannot be with you in Calgary in June, but we have the event on our calendar and will be with you in mind and spirit on that day. We are in awe of your amazing spirit and love for life. Our love also to your Mom and Dad and Brandon.
BJ and Bob

Mary Antonini said...

Tricia,

You look gorgeous in your award photo, and a standing O? Congratulations! I can't wait to see some of the work from your event. Will you post it online somewhere? I am thinking of you and loving you always.

Mary

Curtis Cutshaw said...

Thank you for the update Tricia. We are, as always, sending our love and hugs.

Barb and Curtis

Louise and David said...

๐Ÿ’ŒDear Tricia FCPA, FCA,
Ever since you gave us the link to the CPA Alberta's announcement of its 2018 Achievement Awards๐Ÿ†, we have had our sights on the May 12th Elevate Awards Gala in Edmonton.๐Ÿ“ƒ We hoped you could be there with Marie and Lou.๐Ÿ‘ฉ๐Ÿ‘จ๐Ÿ‘ฑ

๐Ÿ“ทNow it is May 17th and you have already posted three remarkable photos and another impressive link to share that memorable night with us๐ŸŒƒ. Thank you!๐Ÿ‘

๐ŸŽฒAgainst all odds, you made it to Edmonton๐Ÿš— and are even able to say that the challenges of getting there were offset by so many incredible people๐Ÿ’ž and special moments⌚. You must have been emotionally charged๐Ÿ”ฅ when you got the only full-audience standing ovation of the night.๐Ÿ‘ Congratulations!๐Ÿ™Œ

๐Ÿ”ฅNow our hopes are high as you focus on the June 21st artistic review of the past twenty-one years of your life๐ŸŽจ. We applaud your doctors' willingness to change up your treatment, as needed๐Ÿ’‰, and your own eagerness to keep going๐Ÿ‘ฃ. Though you describe your life as a rollercoaster ride๐ŸŽข, you are in no hurry to get off. Like you, ๐Ÿ”ฎwe hope you can continue riding for as long as you are able to negotiate the sharp corners and upside-down loops. ๐Ÿ’†No one is able to do that quite like you have for an entire lifetime๐ŸŽญ.

Hopes and hugs
Louise and David๐Ÿ’•

Louise and David said...

๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‚

๐Ÿ”ฅHAPPY BIRTHDAY, TRICIA!๐Ÿ”ฅ

We wish you a happy day
today๐ŸŽ‚ and as many more
memorable moments๐ŸŽข as you
might wish for yourself๐Ÿ’†.

๐Ÿ’ŒLove you lots,
Louise and David

๐ŸŽˆ44๐ŸŽˆ44๐ŸŽˆ44๐ŸŽˆ44๐ŸŽˆ44๐ŸŽˆ44๐ŸŽˆ

Christine said...

Dear Tricia,
Sending you lots of love, prayers and positive energy as you prepare for June 21. As the article in Leap magazine says, you have such a positive impact on so many lives.
With Love and Gratitude for painting my life with so many beautiful, meaningful and positive moments of inspiration,
Christine

Louise and David said...

๐Ÿ’ŒDear Tricia,
Well, the day you have been preparing for has finally arrived.๐ŸŽจ Of course, we would be there with you if we could be.๐ŸŒ You can be sure that you are here in our hearts always.๐Ÿ’žYour candle of hope is burning as brightly as ever๐Ÿ”ฅ in our St. Andrews home.๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ

๐ŸŒˆGood luck with tonight’s June 21 presentation of 21 projects spanning 21 years of your remarkable life. ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿป‍♀️

✈️Lots of love,
Louise and David๐Ÿ’™❤️

Amanda Kanuka said...

Girl! Your show last night was amazing. You must be happily exhausted from it today. Soak in the satisfaction of accomplishment. I was so grateful to be there. Your work is everything you said- the good, the bad, the ugly- all beautifully balanced in colour, composition, truth, and honest words. I wish we could have had a good coffeeshop type gab, but you take what you can get in a wedding reception receiving line chat. Knowing smiles and a quick hug- still worth it. And my scooter drunk driving didn't run over any people or your pieces! Win. I just reread the article attached to this post- so amazing. And the CPA award! Next thing you're going to tell me is you're heading to the Oscars and I can seethe with jealousy. Keep enjoying the ride- even the vomit is worth it ๐Ÿ™€. You're always in my thoughts adding paint to my canvas.
xo,
Amanda

PS- during this Survivor tv drought, I highly recommend binge watching Alone. It's Survivor hardcore.

Mary Ellen said...

Dear Tricia,
Thank you. Your 21 Event was incredible, and it's hard to find the words that adequately describe how Bob & I felt. The venue was so beautiful and very classy.........the perfect place for your display. Your visuals and writings were totally amazing and beyond description. Our emotions were on a rollercoaster as we went from station to station. Our reactions were various and extreme. You have had quite a journey and your expressions of that journey touched our hearts. All of it.......the good, the bad, and the ugly. It was wonderful to see you and all the people wanting to speak with you. Your strong presence filled the room and was in every thing we saw and read. Bob & I felt so honoured to be there. Thank you, thank you.

Love and admire to you to the moon and back,
Mary Ellen & Bob
xoxoxoxo