Wednesday 10 December 2014

Crazy small cancer world.

Quick update - had a call from Tom Baker Monday to let me know my appointment date of Dec 22...so a bit longer wait than I expected but at least it will be done before the holiday break.  Other positives are that the breast oncologist I will see is actually also a hematologist and bone marrow doctor...I know him well from my leukemia journey and he knows my history very well.  Perfect scenario I think.  He also sits on the core committee of the Strategic Clinical Network that I volunteer on as a patient advisor.  Crazy small cancer world.

The other thing I am interpretting (maybe incorrectly) from the appointment date is that it is not super urgent that I get started on the treatment.  I know from my 17 year experience that nothing happens over the holidays, so I am guessing the earliest they would have me start chemo is early January.  I am hopeful that if it's okay to wait 2 weeks for the consult then it may be equally as okay to wait 2 weeks more from the earliest start time to fit Maui in.  Fingers crossed.

Still making progress on the healing front...3 weeks since surgery so I think I am on target.  Incisions are still covered in steri strips so hard to really know what it looks like but I see Dr. Graham in a week and will do a further assessment and take the strips off then.

Otherwise, I'm doing more and more normal things every day...even had a yummy breakfast after my early morning doctor appointment today (thx to Shelley for the idea)...thanks again for all your kindness.

T

3 comments:

Louise and David said...

Dear Tricia,
Thank you for letting us know about the December 22 appointment. We take note of such consultation times so we can up the energy flow between ourselves and you on those days. Waiting seems to slow the passage of time but your positive interpretation helps us to be patient with the system, too.

In the meantime, you seem to be making huge strides with post-surgery healing. You've come a long way in three short weeks. We're amazed that you are feeling strong enough to make a trip to Maui if your doctor gives you the okay and you can fit it in before chemo treatment starts.

We like your closing comment about doing normal, everyday things - like having a tasty meal. The present moment is the only one we have and it's helpful for us to be reminded to stay in it. Be good to yourself as you keep moving forward, Tricia.

Lots of love,
Louise and David

Mary Ellen said...

Thanks Tricia. You are incredible.
Love you,
Mary Ellen & Bob xoxo

BJ said...

Thank you for the update Tricia. It sounds like everything is going as it should and we are keeping you in our thoughts and hearts as you take each step in he healing process.