Sunday 7 September 2008

The Corner: Day +88

The body sure is amazing. The small improvements I mentioned in my last post have continued to increase rapidly. In the past 8-9 days, I have "turned the corner" so clearly I could almost see the corner, although I have no idea what the turn-factor was. My shortness of breath, ability to drink and eat and overall energy has improved dramatically. Even my hands shakiness has reduced so much I can wear mascara again! (A nice treat when you are a bald pale skin, pale eyed girl!) This week I caught myself walking without too much effort up the stairs, and had to laugh at the difference from just a few days before. Neither I nor the doctors can really say why, but I'm not going to worry about it - just enjoy it.


Given my new energy and strength, I was able to add a few more "non-health" appointments in my blackberry over the last while, including (but not limited to!)

* helping mom and dad babysit (overnight) Jack and Davis on the long weekend and last night - entertaining physio! They were sporting their Saskatchewan Roughrider gear and really getting into the action, coached by Papa.



* picking my Survivor: Gabon season team with three friends over lunch (the pool has been running for over 10 seasons now and is fiercely competitive - no excuses including transplants!)


* talking to a group of brand new medical students about my case, and realizing I knew more about hematology than they do!


* having coffees, lunches and dinners with various close friends and family, feeling unusually like myself again, as well as extremely grateful. Pictured: 4 of the 14 Antonini siblings: Mary Ellen, Marty, Therese, Lou (dad)



This week I have several non-health plans and appointments, but will not even have to visit the clinic! My next hospital is next Wednesday, when I'll have another bone marrow aspirate to test the state of my marrow, Day 100 on the study calendar. While aspirates are never fun, it will be a marker of how well I am doing, and given how I feel as of the last 9 days, I'm sure it will be a good marker.


So thanks for helping me turn the corner..it's a great feeling to be moving in a different direction again. Cheers.

11 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Hi Tricia,
I heartily agree with you that "the body is amazing"; especially yours! You are totally awesome, and that was very evident when you dropped in to see us. I must tell everyone how beautiful, strong, cheerful, and entertaining you were! What a girl! We continue to send our love & prayers for your complete recovery.

I love the pictures of the 2 little RoughRider fans! I bet you had lots of fun with them. Little people have a way of making you smile!

Thanks also for the picture of the 4 siblings. We always have a good time when we're together, and I wish we had taken a picture of you there with us. You touch our souls!

Thanks again for the new posting, Tricia. What wonderful news!

Love,
Mary Ellen xoxoxo

. said...

So glad you have had some improvements in the last few days, it's good to hear you are feeling more like yourself. I cant believe you are applying mascara... that's a huge feat just in itself. :) Hope your aspirate goes well next Wednesday and you continue to feel a bit better everyday. Praying for you and thinking of you lots.

Love Lindsey

Marcia said...

Hi Tricia, I heard rumours about your improving progress so thanks for this good news. You are truly amazing! Praying that this will continue and that your Weds tests are "all good".
Love, Marcia

BJ said...

Dear Tricia,
How good to hear that you have turned a corner and are starting to regain strength and energy. It is what we are all praying and hoping for. You are truly amazing and we will continue to send our best wishes and good vibes your way.

Thanks also for the pictures--makes me wish I could have joined you.

Keep up your healing ways, and may you make a complete recovery soon.

With love and continuing admiration,
BJ

Sonia said...

Great news Tricia!!!

It's nice to hear you sound so full of life and positive, that is wonderful!

Cheers!

Sonia

Sweet Little girls said...

Hey Tricia

Turning corners are VERY welcome in this life!!! We are so happy to hear your news. Enjoy your week off from doctors visit but rather enjoy friend and family visits!!!

Our continued thoughts and prayers are coming your way!!! Go Riders!!! Once green always green....

Sheree Martin

Louise and David said...

Dear Tricia,
Even your blog site has a brand new, bright look about it! Thanks for this latest encouraging news.

David and I had a hint of your improving condition when I spoke to you from the Calgary airport before we boarded our August 31st flight for Scotland. Our own immediate travel concerns were swept away in a wave of relief for you on your life's journey. As is so often the case, that brief connection with you shifted our perspective and encouraged us to keep an "attitude of gratitude" no matter what. Thanks for that!

In your usual easy style, this latest posting answers our questions about several disturbing post-transplant symptoms: difficulties with eating and drinking, shortness of breath, shakiness and low energy. It does not surprise us at all that laughter is your response to some of the rapid changes you are experiencing. The "unexpected" often brings such joy and delight. We are so happy for you today, Tricia; and, along with you, we are simply enjoying the arrival of your new energy and strength.

Thanks for the cute pictures of Jack and Davis in Rider colors. After spending time with our two-year-old grandson, Bjorn, we know exactly what you mean about the boys providing "entertaining physio"; being with them is fun and hard work, all at the same time.

As one of 10 absent siblings, I was pleased to catch a glimpse of Mary Ellen, Marty, Therese and Lui spending time together in Calgary. I did not even have to be there to feel their love for one another (and for the rest of us) in grabbing an opportunity for a family visit like that.

Good luck in this year's Survivor pool. The betting sounds like it may be as fierce a competition as the series itself is. David and I have never followed the action ourselves but snippets of news coverage suggest that it can be a fascinating show. Given the chance, you could definitely teach the participants a thing or two about surviving, that's for sure.

It seems that you ARE doing a bit of teaching these days. You did not say whether your meeting with the medical students was a formal class or a chance encounter. Whatever the circumstances, the students would appreciate the chance to learn from someone who can "talk the talk" because she is "walking the walk".

It goes without saying that we will be thinking of you next Wednesday, on the 100th day of the study calendar. Like you, we will expect the bone marrow aspirate to be a good marker of how you are doing. As an extra bonus, we hope the procedure goes smoothly for you.

We do not know how it is that we have helped you to turn this latest corner, Tricia. All we ever want is for you to keep getting better and better with each passing day.

Somehow, the prayers and energy that we send your way seem to do as much for us as they do for you. That is a mystery that we do not question anymore. We just accept it in a spirit of awe and thanksgiving.

Lots of love,
Louise and David

Holly Gustafson said...

Wow, Trish, what good news! We will keep praying that that corner you turned gets farther and farther behind you!

Holly

La ma tante préférée de l'autre said...

Hi Tricia,

It gives me goose bumps to read your blog today.
I had a feeling that your body was on slow mo to catch up with all the new cells.
So fantastic to hear the great changes in energy and strenght.
You right that you know more about hematology than
all the student doctors.I have learned so much about it myself from your blog and you're a great teacher.
George is somewhere in Alberta installing power line.
I am in Salluit in Northern Quebec nursing the Inuits .
We are still following your progress and always love to read you.
Take good care of yourself.Great News.
Continuing to send you sunshine from way up in the Nunavik.

Dominique and George

Marcia said...

Dear Tricia, Just wanted you to know you are in my thoughts as you approach Day 100 and your tests. As always, I will be praying for you and wishing you well. Rock on!

Love, Marcia xoxo

BJ said...

Dear Tricia,

This is Day +100 for you, isn't it? We are thinking of you with gratitude and love today. We hope you are continuing to improve and we will keep praying for your complete recovery.

Love, BJ