Wednesday 27 August 2008

Pain and Celebration - Day 76

Just after my last post, I started experiencing pain in my stomach along with diarrhea and had to visit the clinic for fluids, tests and assessment. Dr. Brown's instinct was that it might by GVHD starting. By the time the tests were all back on Monday, the pain had eased significantly, so I just needed fluids and an increase in one of my stomach medications. While the docs aren't sure what the pain was, Dr. Brown was happy his instinct was incorrect this time.

Unfortunately, the timing of the pain cancelled our birthday/anniversary dinner plans. We instead visited the boys on the weekend to get some twin-time in. The boys are getting so old now, and Davis even spotted my twisted face when a wave of pain hit me - his little face with a furrowed brow and "you ok?" was enough to heal me!

Last week I continued to get stronger and I actually feel some marked differences. Mom and I made 2 laps around the loop at the house and I was able to visit some friends without being completely out of breath. I even got over to Tasha's, as she was back from vacation, for some much needed catch up.

On the weekend, I had some family friends visit me - Ellen from Regina and her daughter Amy, who flew in from London (UK) after living there for a year with her husband. I lived with Ellen and Amy while I finished university in Regina years ago, so it was wonderful to visit with them for a day or so. We had so much fun I forgot to take pictures!
Last night, we celebrated Dad's 60th birthday a day in advance, at home, with my brother, Dana and the boys. It was pure entertainment with Davis' dancing and Jack's comedy, surely better than the dinner we had planned.


I am off to the clinic in an hour or so, and I have no doubt that my numbers will continue to look pomising. I'll be happy to report that how I feel is starting to move in the right direction as well. Thanks for sending me the energy and prayers - it seems to suddenly have kicked up a notch!

13 comments:

BJ said...

Dear Tricia,
It is good to hear that you are starting to feel a little bit better. Every small step seems to us like a large one in the right direction. We are grateful that the stomach pain abated and you were able to help celebrate your Dad's birthday.
We continue to marvel at your ability to toast life even when you are not feeling well. It is an inspiration to all of us and we thank you for your brave and positive approach to living.
Our prayers continue always and our best wishes and hope are sent with much love.
As always, BJ

kelsey said...

This is going to sound crazy but you got me through most of that marathon. Without your crazy strength and amazing positivity to drawn on I don't know that I could have made it through that crazy, wet, painful night.

Kelsey

Sonia said...

Hi Tricia!

Awesome news, I am so happy to hear that you are getting out and about. Good for you!!

Cheers!

Sonia

kbub said...

It's great news that you continue to feel improvement. And I love that picture of you and the twins on the couch. Keep these good posts coming!

Mary Ellen said...

Hi Tricia,
What great pictures! The one of you & the twins is fabulous, and I love the one of Lui with his birthday cake. Happy 60th little brother! 6 of the 14 siblings are now in their 60's.
It is so good to hear that you feel you have made marked improvement & that you have even managed to have little visits here & there. I loved hearing you say, "seems to suddenly have kicked up a notch". Bob & I continue to pray that your strength, energy, and total well-being will be kicked up a whole bunch of notches!

Lots of love,
Bob & Mary Ellen xoxoxoxoxoox

Louise and David said...

Dear Tricia,
We were so pleased to hear about this latest posting and to be able to read it in the midst of our travels. It gives us wings!

I love the photo of you and the boys and your touching story of a child's healing comment. Children are so tuned to the emotions and cares of the people they love.

We are so grateful for your increasing strength, along with the differences you are feeling. Delayed celebrations can wait as your health and stamina continue to improve.

As your numbers improve and your loops become laps, we will match the increase with our love and prayers. We can "kick it up a notch", too, just knowing that you are pushing ahead with such determination.

Expect another quick phone call when we pass through Calgary again early next week.

Cheers and lots of love,
Louise and David

barb said...

Dear Tricia,

So good to hear that you are feeling increasingly stronger and having more energy. A marked improvement is wonderful news!! I'm also happy to hear you were able to visit with Tasha and enjoy the antics of those darling twin nephews!

Love you lots and always praying,

Barb

jaime said...

tricia. i am so glad that you are starting to feel better...

Sweet Little girls said...

hey Tricia

I am glad to hear you are feeling stronger and better each day. Your journey has been amazing and inspiring to be a part of. I admire your strength and courage!!! Our prayers and energy will continue your way to help you get out and explore more!!!!

Sheree Martin

Marcia said...

Hi Tricia, It's good to hear how you're doing. You are on my mind daily. Keep fighting - we'll keep praying.
Love, Marcia

BJ said...

Dear Tricia,

Another month, another renewal of our best wishes and prayers for your complete recovery. May you gain strength and health as the days go on.

Love and admiration,
BJ

barb said...

Hi Tricia,

Just popping by on this first day of September to let you know that I'm thinking of you and sending lots of love today. I pray that with this new month comes new energy and continued reduction in pain and side effects.

Much love and many hugs.

Barb

La ma tante préférée de l'autre said...

Dear Tricia,
You sound stronger in your blog.
I know it seems funny but you give me the impression of good progress and a renewed strenght.
At any rate,its always such a boost to hear from you no matter what.
Now is the beginning of the new school year,could be the start of your new beginning as well.
Take care little one.

Dominique