Thursday 10 July 2008

Day + 28 Birthday Blur and a little gambling

I can hardly believe it's almost been a week since I posted. The days really seem to blur lately, with weakness, bone pain, and skin discomfort keeping the pace pretty slow. Despite the slow pace, I can recognize some improvement - my nausea has certainly slowed and I think my energy between rests is a bit better than a few days ago.

As an example, I made a couple of first "limited public" appearances. Saturday Tasha and I drank lemonades at Starbucks and then I took Mom to lunch at Earl's on her birthday Sunday. It was a beautiful day and we sat on the deck and it almost felt like normal. Later that night, after a long sleep, we went to 'the boys house' for a BBQ birthday or "happy day" as Jack and Davis called it. I watched the boys entertain "Nana" for a while and was happy to go home tired for a good reason!

My visits to the hospital Monday and yesterday were fairly informative. My blood counts continue to be steady, and the doctors continue to adjust my 2 anti-rejection (immunesuppressive) medication doses based on the levels in my blood. After bloodwork, a chest X-ray, fluids and overall assessment yesterday, Dr. Brown outlined a few considerations for the coming months. It seems that I will have to be on tacrolimus, one of the anti-rejection drugs, for longer than I had expected. If I had a 100% sibling match, I would only have be on it for 60 days, but Brandon is no longer a 100% match because of transplant #2, so instead I will be on it for 180 days before they begin to taper it.

As part of the protocol for the trial, patients receive a chemotherapy drug in their spinal fluid each month for 5 months starting at 3 months post-transplant. Years ago, doctors realized that some ALL patients can end up with CNS (Central Nervous System) disease, stemming from the leukemia, and that by adding some treatments directly into the spinal fluid (intrathecal chemo), this risk was mitigated significantly. Prior to my first transplant and following my second, I received a number of these treatments. Dr. Brown is proposing that we skip the planned chemo injections and has discussed this with both the New York and Calgary teams. He again needs my decision on the matter, and once again it is a choice of which risk to take. The risk of CNS disease is higher by not proceeding with the treatments, but the potential side effects of the treatments (various neurological effects including paralysis) are daunting as well. So we'll see what gamble I'll take.

Saturday is Day +30, so tomorrow I'll have a bone marrow aspirate at the hospital. I'll have 3 more of these in the coming year, and this will show the doctors more details about the status of my marrow. I've had so many I imagine my bone looks like Swiss cheese! Regardless, it's very exciting to reach Day +30 and be so well, and I even get to drop 6 pills that I currently take each day, so that should lighten my daily "pill-load"! I may even be able to expand my "limited public" appearances in the coming weeks...

I hope all of you have a light and fun weekend, and enjoy whatever weather pattern visits you. Of course, I appreciate all the support, prayers and energy you continue to generously send me.

Cheers

8 comments:

BJ said...

Dear Tricia,
Many thanks for the update. We appreciate your calm and straightforward descriptions of all that is happening, and will continue to pray for your continued success and healing.
Love, BJ

barb said...

Dear Tricia,

What a lovely treat to see an update from you tonight! We have been thinking of you and sending you constant prayers.. thank you for letting us know how you are doing.

We will be storming you tomorrow with thoughts as you go to have your bone marrow aspirated and we will also send prayers as you make your decision about the chemo injections. We pray for your solid rest, increased energy, strong healthy marrow, and continued daily joyful moments like sitting on the deck, enjoying a Starbucks, and soaking up the sun (or a refreshing rain)!

Love you Tricia,

Barb

Mary Ellen said...

Dear Tricia,
Thanks again for your up-date. It sounds like you have some major decisions to make in the next while, and we know, that with your doctors' imput, you'll do what's best for you. We're praying for the doctors too.
You are simply amazing, Tricia. I can picture you & Tasha at Starbuck's, sipping lemonade. Talk about a "Toast to Life"!!!

Bob & I send our love and continued prayers.
Love,
Mary Ellen xoxoxo

Unknown said...

Tricia,

Nice to hear from you. Our thoughts and prayers are of course always with you. Keep it up, your are doing wonderful.

Jenalee

Louise and David said...

Thanks Tricia,
It goes without saying that we love to hear from you in this way. It is especially good to know that you are doing happy things that help you to feel "almost normal".

We hope today's aspirate goes smoothly and that it provides your doctors with more positive information on the status of your bone marrow. Just keep right on astounding them (and us) with your progress.

Some time ago you wrote about "rolling the dice" and we see that you are still at it. The risks that you continue to face are quite scary and it seems that each of your options is a gamble.

Knowing you as we do, we are confident that you will consider the advice of the experts, weigh all the odds, and make the choice that is best for you.

As always, Tricia, you have the energetic support of our minds and hearts with every step you take towards recovery and good health.

Lots of love and prayers,
Louise and David

La ma tante préférée de l'autre said...

As usual we are always looking forward to reading your blog .
Slow but steady seems to be the theme.
I can't believe that you are having to make another
major choice in your treatment it must be so hard,
all I can think is that so far,your gambles have paid off.So I have a good feeling about it again.
I like that you are making limited appearances like a star,and you are a star in my eyes.
thinking of you always,
Gentle hugs

George and Dominique

. said...

Good to see another blog entry. Always exciting for your avid readers to see more news. I am glad to see that you are out again enjoying the small pleasures of life.

As I read your blog, I don't know where you find the courage to make such large decisions. I hope God gives you the strength to help you decide which gamble to take.

Again, sending love, positive energy and prayers your way

Love Linz

Sonia said...

Hi Tricia!

Just thought I would drop a line to say hi...!

The kids and I were up at Waskesiu last week...we really enjoyed ourselves even though the weather did not cooperate we made the best of it and did some boating and swimming in the rain!

Hope things are going well for you and you are enjoying the summer days!

Sonia