Tuesday 24 June 2008

Day + 12 : Where's Tricia Antonini?

Well, a lot has happened since my last post. It's hard for me to believe, let alone report. Sunday night I didn't get a great sleep, probably because the hospital security system somehow started blaring "hold" music in the hallways at 4:30 AM and couldn't fix it for around half an hour! Anyway, Monday morning I thought the pain in my stomach was less, although the trips to the bathroom continued. I was able to get some pills down and my nurse unhooked my from my IV drugs to have a shower. When Dr. Chaudry came into my room, he looked around the room and said "where's Tricia Antonini?" in his joking way. I guess I looked a lot better than when he had seen my last Thursday. His examination of my abdomen definitely indicated the typhilitis inflammation was decreasing significantly. He told me to move to full fluid diet, and that if I wanted to go on a pass for a few hours in the evening, I could. Truly miraculous. I was able to rest on our sofa, watch TV with mom and play the Wii with Dad. Only 2 days after I was frightened by the good possibility I could be facing a dangerous surgery.


Last night at the hospital I slept a bit better (no hallway party music) and again felt a bit less pain and swelling. I had a cupful of pills this morning while eating oatmeal, the most solid thing I've had in weeks, and chatted with Tasha, who had stopped by after a hospital appointment she and Ryan had that morning. While the pill/oatmeal meal made me a little queasy and I had to rest again for a while, Dr. Chaudry opened my door for his daily examination. My blood counts also indicated that the new marrow had grafted and was starting to produce its own blood cells. My belly was a bit softer and the pain when he pushed the abdomen in various places was far less. He said as long as I could swallow all my medications by mouth, (my esophagus has a problem with swallowing and "over squeezes" things as they go down) I could go on an overnight pass.


It's hard to describe how I felt about the offer, as more than the enormous joy surrounding sleeping in my own bed, and hanging out with my family at home, it was an indication that I coming out of the dark woods. There is still a lot of risk and uncertainty about the coming weeks and months, depending on what Graft-Versus-Host-Disease(GVHD) arises (I'll explain that one later), and the typhilitis has to continue to heal, but it sure is good to be home on a pass on Day +12. So rest your Red and White fury, and pick any colour you like! Thanks everyone for helping me get here.


19 comments:

BJ said...

Dear Tricia,

Way to go, girl! All my thoughts, prayers, good wishes are the color of light today, hopine to help bring you out of a dark place.

Love, BJ

Sweet Little girls said...

hey Trish

YES!!! YES!! YES!! is all I could say while I continued to read your post today!!!!
Enjoy a night home with your family in your own bed!!!!

Sheree Martin

Sonia said...

Tricia,

That is absolutely wonderful!!! Enjoy being at home...good for you!

Your army is all smiling.... :)

Love Sonia

Bob Barker said...

Dear Tricia,

I am absolutley weak with relief! "Congratulations" is such an inadequate word in the circumstances, but you will understand what is meant.

Way to go, Tricia

Love,

Bob

La ma tante préférée de l'autre said...

This is absolutely fantastic!
What a news !
I had tears of joy for you,it is all so incredible!
Enjoy your time at home where you can probably have a quieter environment.
Lets build those cells up!
This is so great and exciting.
I pick rainbow color but the white and red seemed to do it for you...
Have a restful time at home.
Say hi to your mom and dad for me.

talk to you soon

Dominique and George

Mary Ellen said...

Wow, Tricia! Unbelievable! Tears of joy are falling on my computer.
What an amazing turn in your recovery! And the new marrow has grafted! Yeee-Haw!! Enjoy being at home with Lui & Marie, and continue to rest & heal more. Our thoughts, love & prayers will continue going your way, and we thank you for your graceful, up-lifting, presence & sharing.
Love you,
Bob & Mary Ellen xoxoxoxoxo

Holly Gustafson said...

The gift of sleeping in one's own bed - I will think of you tonight as I lay me down to sleep and not take for granted such a luxury!

In regard to the prayers though, we'll never rest! We will continue to offer up all the little joys and sorrows of our day for your continued healing!

the Gussies

Linda said...

OMG - that is sooo awsome. I am so thrilled for you. We will be having coffee together again sooner than we expected!!!! Thinking of you as always!!!

Cheers!!!

Linda, Reynold Em & Cole xox

kbub said...

Tricia, that's the best post so far. You have a lot of very happy blog readers today!

More like this, please.

Anonymous said...

Tricia - you are a marvel. I'm sure you will savour your overnight pass. You already know this simple truth - "it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all" - enjoy sleeping with your own pillow, in your own bed, surrounded by the love of your family.
Sweet dreams and love from Michele

Gena said...

Hi Tricia,

Wow, I have been thinking red and white, dreaming red and white and praying red and white. The positive energy you continue to have and the power of your red and white army is truely shining through in your amazing smile!!!!!Enjoy your time at home, cheers

Gena

Marcia said...

Tricia, thank you for this good news! I am so grateful and happy for you and all your family. Continue to rest, and mend and I will continue to pray and think of you every day.
I'm on my way to Tulsa tomorrow, but will be checking in on you daily.

Love you Warrior!

Marcia xoxo

Melissa said...

Tricia, You are making us all tear up with happiness and joy for your Milestones, Praise rings out and pass the Kleenex, Tricia are awesome there is nothing you cant do!
Have a goodnight sleep in comfort and know your army is refueled by your success and we are standing by rooting for you every step of the way.
Yeah Tricia!!!!!

ed said...

Dear Tricia,

It is GREAT news to hear about your home pass. Our prayers, love and energy continue always.

Ed and Deanie

Louise and David said...

Dear Tricia,
The title of your Day +12 posting is so refreshing. Dr. Chaudry must be good medicine for his patients, with his sense of humour, his optimism and his "home-time" prescriptions.

Your news is truly amazing. Before we know it, we could all be asking the question "Where in the world is Tricia Antonini?" Already it seems that you are starting to divide your time between home and hospital. Today's news is even better than we had dared to expect.

We had to laugh at what you describe as our "Red and White fury". It is true that your army of supporters has been whipping up a storm of energy from every possible source. We are not going to stop now, of course. Whatever our colours, they are neon bright today as we celebrate this latest victory in your battle.

We are especially excited to hear that your new marrow has grafted and is beginning to produce its own blood cells. We look forward to learning more about Graft-Versus-Host-Disease and what that means for you in the coming weeks and months.

You have done a terrific job of helping us to understand the risks you face in taking this latest course of action, Tricia. What continues to amaze us is that you know the perils and are meeting them head on, as they arise, one day at a time. We are just following your lead and are hoping for the best at every turn.

So far, this is the best for sure. Cheers and congratulations to you!

Lots of love and warm applause,
Louise and David.

barb said...

Tricia!! My gosh, girl! I'm overjoyed to hear that your brand new cells have grafted and are starting to do their work! An overnight pass! Wow! The pleasure of a night at home in your bed sounds like a lovely respite from Hotel 57!

Love, prayers and always our best coming towards you this morning.

Love you lots.
Barb

Unknown said...

Tricia,

Wow are you ever an amazing women!! Keep up the great work, we are so happy to hear about your progress. We will still be here fighting for you.

Love
Jenalee

kelsey said...

YEA!!!! Couldn't be happier!!!

. said...

Wonderful news. What a blessing that your marrow has grafted and is producing its own cells! Hope you have a relaxing time on your passes, spending time with family, playing Wii. The more I read your posts, the more I realize how important those little things are. Thanks for that.

I went to Tasha's Blog yesterday and read her latest post. I understand why you two are such great friends.... you are both an inspiration.

Love Lindsey