Tuesday 12 February 2008

Waiting to Live

Finally the deepfreeze has lifted and there is a hope of Spring in the air! My car looks like a jungle safari tour vehicle covered in mud and salt but it's nice that it's wet and not frozen solid like the past few weeks.

Last week was by far one of my busiest in a while - every night I had some event, and while some were indirectly linked to leukemia, they were mostly NOT medical appointments. Monday night I attended a workshop with a casting director at the acting company I used to study with, Tuesday I spoke to a group of people planning to run a marathon and raise funds for blood cancer research, Wednesday I saw the Kite Runner (incredible), Thursday I attended the Cancervive sponsorship appreciation night (Calgary to Austin cycling event) and Friday saw 27 Dresses with mom. During those days, I packed in bloodwork, physio, Day One chemo, getting my computer fixed, lunches and coffees with coworkers and friends, and attending Tasha's appointment with her oncologist (no pathology results yet for her, we're hoping by tomorrow!). The week was kind of a reminder of what I like to be - busy, running from one experience to the other, relying on my blackberry to tell me where to be and when.

Of course, I always like to push my limits and on the weekend spent most of my time sleeping and fighting off some nausea, perhaps as a result of my busy week, but who knows. I had a brief break from that on Sunday, when mom and I met Tasha, Ryan and Talyn at the Health Show to find out about the next wonder juice and what healing treatments could cure us all! Speaking of treatments, there is no further update on the status of the transplant application - it is virtually complete, awaiting signatures and assembly to be on its way to Ottawa for Health Canada's review. Patience is a virtue isn't it!??? I did find out that currently transplants are being booked into April, so even if we get approval in the coming month, the timing will not likely be earlier than May, which is quite a bit later than I had expected.

After absorbing this for a few days, I've decided to take advantage of the delay. I can only get stronger physically before the treatment in that time. The reality is that this may be the best I feel, even after a transplant, so I better just start living and doing everything I want to rather than putting off everything waiting to get my life back. So, I have been tossing plans around quickly in my head like crazy, and I am certain my blackberry will continue to be full of interesting things in the coming months...stay tuned!

What's in your calendar? Put something good in there...stop waiting!

3 comments:

Louise and David said...

Dear Tricia,
At first glance, "Waiting to Live" is a title that does not seem to fit. We would never describe you a person who is "putting off everything, waiting to get (her) life back".

However, you might feel that way about yourself because your leukemia DOES keep you in a permanent state of WAITING. Even while you are attending workshops, going to movies, spending time with friends, serving on committees and travelling to wonderful places, you must always be considering your current health regimen and your next treatment option.

The rest of us simply do not know what it is like to live that way. For us, you are a model of "active waiting". Our own impatience with delays in YOUR transplant application seems indefensible. And yet we DO wait .... and hope.

As you know, we are also eager for further word on your friend, Tasha, whose post-surgery wait must be almost intolerable.

Later this morning David and I are going into town to participate in Chinese New Year's celebrations. We have heard that a huge, colourful dragon will make its way to three local sites, dancing along and bestowing treats on observers. We intend to follow its course, ending up on campus where we will then attend a luncheon concert featuring a saxaphone quartet. All of that sounds very good, don't you think?

We are pleased to hear that your Calgary weather is heating up enough to suggest that spring is in the air. Your blackberry sounds destined to be packed with interesting events and activities. Thanks for encouraging us to "stay tuned". You know we will do just that!

We promise you, Tricia, that like you, we will keep putting good things into our calendar and try to make it look like we are not waiting for anything at all.
Much love,
Louise and David

Mary Ellen said...

Hi Tricia,
Just did my daily check of your blogsite and read your latest up-date. Thanks again. It sounds like you have been super busy this last while, with things you like to do; " busy, running from one experience to the other", as you so aptly put it. You have managed to pack a whole bunch of stuff into a few days. I'm reading KITE RUNNER right now and it's good to hear from you that the movie is incredible. That's how I'm finding the book, and I'll probably go see the movie once I'm done.
Bob & I are thinking of you with lots of love, and hoping that transplant application gets to Ottawa soon. Like Louise said, " We DO wait....and hope."

Much love,
Mary Ellen
xoxoxoxo

BJ said...

Dear Tricia,

It is surprising how much time we spend 'waiting'. Fortunately, we do fill our calendar with good things while we are waiting. Here in Ottawa we are waiting for the snow to stop (or at the moment, the freezing rain). While we do that we read, listen to music, watch TV and read the various blogs and communications from friends and relatives.
I am also recovering well from my eye surgery. The surgery itself was successful in that the hole in my retina is now closed and the bubble through which I have been looking is gradually disappearing. Whether the vision will have been improved is something I will have to 'wait' to see. I am hopeful and patient and am enjoying the time until the result is obvious.
Bob is doing well. He was interviewed for the Heart Institute Telethon and is doing his bit to help the Institute raise money for heart research. He is also working on an African project to help them write a history of the Teachers' Organization that he helped found in South Africa years ago.
We are also 'waiting' along with you for news on the transplant application and hoping and praying for its speedy dispatch and successful outcome.

Waiting with much love,
BJ