Thursday 9 November 2017

Manhattan Moments (Yes!)


Someone asked me earlier this week "what does time feel like" while I navigate life after being told I'm likely going to be around for "months not years".  Time is rather irrelevant - some days are so jammed (with good and bad) that they seem you lived a month in 12 hours.  And some months just evaporate in a blink.

Since the last post, I got Round 3 chemo in, and a week ago today got a modified round 4.  Round 3 went better than 1 & 2 as I'd hoped - we've got the mouth sore pattern figured out so continued to win on that front.  Chemo grey fatigue was no fun but more predictable, so I just embraced when the "wall" hit me and slept as often as needed.

A couple of miraculous things happened towards the end of week 2 post-chemo.  Back in February Dr. Young (NYC doc) had sent me the annual Sloan Kettering transplant survivor celebration event dates. I've attended almost every year since I was first invited post transplant #3.  The fares were cheap so we booked our flights and hotel and Colleen did the same.  Of course, as the weeks and months evolved, it looked less than likely NYC would happen again.  Dr. Nixon however was supportive of making it happen, and the timing was decent as the MSK event was Oct 24 which was in week 3 post chemo, when I'm my best.  Of course, we still had to consider what it would be like navigating Manhattan in a wheelchair and how exhausting it would be.  I also had to get bloodwork a day before we left to ensure there was no major issue brewing.  It was a challenge to decide if all the effort and risk would be worth it.  We all do this every day as you know - make choices and wonder if they are the right ones.

Wonderous view from a bench
You'll see my boarding pass below - I had to take a picture as it was so surreal.  We made it.  And after a good sleep and delicious brunch the morning after the flight, with the wheelchair as my vehicle (thanks Mom for the awesome driving) we made it to Central Park.  A warm, sunny day.  We found a bench and sat watching the hundreds of people enjoying the park energy.  The other incredible thing was I was watching all of this with both eyes...and seeing just one of everything.  My double vision had all but disappeared just as I was exploring NYC. I can't articulate how lovely it was to see my NYC - it was like a reward for taking the risk to go.  It certainly was worth it.
MMMM Coconut shrimp

Totally crazy.
MSK Survivor event
Watching ping-pong in Bryant Park
Watching people in Central Park (one, not double of them!)
My Chrysler building 
Dr. Young and I 
The rest of the trip did evaporate quickly - with lots of rest - but the MSK event was fantastic and my visit with Dr. Young was better than I could have hoped for.  We did a couple of meals out - Tommy Bahamas on 5th included (thanks Tim & Judy!) and a fair bit of "wheeling".  As it always does, NYC gave me "my fix" of Manhattan moments.

Since NYC, I've been battling a bit of a cold, getting rest, and responding to some calls and emails in preparation for the Tricia Antonini award that will be presented to the first recipient in front of a small group of people on November 22. I met with Dr. Nixon in her Wednesday clinic.  Bloodwork was a bit off so I only received 2 of the 3 drugs the next day Thursday and on Friday received a couple units of blood.  Before the transfusion I also got to attend the groundbreaking (inside, thank goodness!) of the new Calgary Cancer Centre that I had been a patient advisor for the design phase.  Time again is rather surreal.

In the midst of these wacky weeks, 3 teams of Tricia's Trotters in Vancouver, Calgary and Regina made it out in the dusk with lit lanterns to walk, raise awareness and thousands of dollars for Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Light the Night events.  I am always in awe at the dedication of the trotters and want to thank everyone involved in this year's events.

So November continues to be focused on Alberta Health and Alberta Cancer Foundation's event and getting to some of my "good list". My eye continues to hold on to seeing "one" almost all the time, although my ding-dong head still throws my balance off almost all the time.  Regardless, I plan to continue doing as much as I feel able, knowing that if I was able to get to NYC I can do almost anything. Cheers and love...Tricia

17 comments:

Marcia said...

Thank you Tricia, for this wonderful account of your trip to NYC! You continue to amaze and inspire! I am so impressed with the information about the Tricia Antonini award and so thankful that your dedication, strength, and generosity is being recognized in this way.

It seemed impossible that you would be able to go to New York and be able to enjoy all the activities that you did participated in. Just the flights are exhausting for most of us! But then, you ARE Tricia!

You are on my mind and in my heart daily. Much love is coming your way and all the family is included in that!

Love, Marcia xoxo

ed said...

Thank you for the update Tricia, I had heard you were in New York, nice to hear you were able to enjoy your city again. I heard through that old fashioned media, the telephone. I was on it with your dad. The Calgary crew are on our minds and in our prayers.

Always

Ed and Deanie

Mary Ellen said...

Thanks Tricia,
What an amazing woman you are. I loved reading about your NYC trip, and seeing the proof that you really did get there and enjoyed some of your favourite spots and views. You are such an inspiration for living in the moment and to the fullest. Thank you.

I am very grateful that you are being honoured with an award ,in your name, being given to others like you, who have gone to great lengths to "smooth the road for others". What an honour and recognition for all you have done and continue to do. You are totally awesome.

Love you lots,
Bob & Mary Ellen
xoxoxo

Vivian and Dave said...

Oh Trish, this is the most uplifting blog. I didn't realize you had made this momentous trip. We are so proud of your courage and humbled by your bravery. Dave sends his love and energy. The girls and I our love and prayers. Vivian

Christine said...

Dear Tricia,
Thank you so much, once again, for inspiring us all to "live in the moment" with courage and gratitude. My thoughts are with you every single day as I visit your blog. Your expression of your thoughts in writing is outstanding! I wish I could express my love and admiration for you with just a small fraction of that skill. Most days I just marvel at the gift you are to so many and am left speechless. Today you've given me the courage to attempt to describe how full my heart is with love for you and your wonderful family.
Love & Prayers, Christine

BJ said...

Dear Tricia,

How wonderful that you were able to visit the city you love so much. Your description and pictures of your journey are so inspiring. I echo everything that the others have posted: You are inspiring, courageous, amazing and uplifting. We love everything about you and send our kind thoughts and best wishes to you and your family.
Congratulations again on the award created in your name. You have shown those who will receive it how to live, and have inspired them to carry on your work.
Much love to all of you.
BJ xoxo

Bonnie Antonini said...

Wow!
Miss Tricia, You continue to amaze me. I am so happy to hear that you had a mother opportunity to visit New York! Congratulations on the award created in your name! I am so proud of you and I Love you so much!
Please give you Mom and Dad and Brandon a hug from us!
Love Rob, Bonnie, Nicholas and Jessica๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’

Louise and David said...


✔You are right, Tricia, we DO all make choices every day and wonder if they are the right ones.๐Ÿ”ฎ This most recent example from your own life gets a resounding YES!๐ŸŽ‡ You made a monumental decision that caused miracles to happen. It's as if New York City knew you had arrived and rewarded you with your Manhattan moments.๐Ÿ—ฝ

๐Ÿ“ทNo wonder you took a picture of that boarding pass. ✈It was your ticket to good times with old friends, to another look at your Chrysler Building, to a view of NYC life from a Central Park bench and to the miraculous recovery of your single vision.๐Ÿ‘€

It seems to us that your whole life has been shaped by such bold choices.๐ŸŒŒ Again and again, you have met new challenges, weighed their demands on you, taken the necessary risks and given thanks for the rewards.๐Ÿ™† Even now, you are getting back to your 'good list'๐Ÿ“ƒ and navigating life with a purpose.๐Ÿ‘ฃ

๐Ÿ”ฅLike you, we have come to believe that you can do almost anything, Tricia. We are with you all the way and support you with our energy and love.๐Ÿ’•

Hugs all around๐Ÿ’ž,
Louise and David

Anonymous said...

Amazing Tricia! I loved reading about your NYC trip and seeing your pictures! Thank you for reminding me it is so important to seize the moment. You are such an inspiration.
Love Cynthia

Sonia said...

2 more sleeps!! So excited for you ๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ˜

Amy Antonini said...

Hi Tricia,

It was so nice to read your blog and hear about your time in NYC! I am thinking about you and sending my love from Ottawa.

Cheers!

Louise and David said...


๐Ÿ˜Dear Tricia,

Well, today is the big day!๐Ÿ† This afternoon you will take part in the launching of the Tricia Antonini Award that recognizes and honours your contributions over two decades towards creating 'more moments' for cancer patients, their families and friends within an environment of positivity and hope.๐Ÿ™Œ Congratulations!๐Ÿ‘

The write-up about you mentions your natural ability to lift the spirits of everyone around you.๐Ÿ’• That gift applies to absolutely every arena of your life. So many people, including ourselves, have been encouraged and inspired by your tenacity, courage and love of life.๐Ÿ’—

So, while the first recipient of the Tricia Antonini Award is being recognized in Calgary today๐Ÿ†, we will be raising a toast to LIFE here in St. Andrews๐ŸŒ. Cheers!

๐Ÿ’ŒLots of love,
Louise and David

Fareeha Khan said...

Good luck for the awards - hoping to see some pictures and get an update on the event ๐Ÿค—

Bob and Heather said...

Tricia.......The TRICIA ANTONINI AWARD ceremony was beautiful...a first class event and so very deserving for a lady (and my niece) who continues to pave the road for others. The love and respect we have for you is enormous!
Much Love,

Bob and Heather

Louise and David said...

๐Ÿ‘‹Hi Tricia,

๐ŸƒIt's the last day of November and we are celebrating the feast of St. Andrews, patron saint of Scotland.๐Ÿ˜‡ Our calendar also suggests that you are one week into the fifth round of chemo treatment for symptom control.๐Ÿ’‰

๐ŸกWe are just dropping by to say that you are in our thoughts every day. We hope you are experiencing more moments of comfort than discomfort, ease than struggle, and surprise than predictability.๐ŸŽ

Lots of light๐Ÿ”ฅ and love๐Ÿ’•,
Louise and David

Amanda Kanuka said...

Wow. New York! With no double vision! What a victory. The tricks our bodies play, and then recover- reminds me of explaining to two year old Joe it wasn't normal to see two mommies. It was all he knew and now he sees the world mostly like we all do. And sitting on a bench soaking in amazing views is really all one needs from time to time- its these little things that are the most sacred, I've come to understand.

I'm sorry I haven't been on top of comments with your past few posts- tired girl life and this season every year is a tough combo. I have read every word, and you continue to be close in our thoughts, sending good vibrations always. I am so amazed with the living you do! Keep on keeping on girl! Would love to hear more about the Nov 22nd award when you can.

I hope you are soaking up Christmas spirit with your nephews and T- the joys of youth are intoxicating (and occasionally exhausting ๐Ÿ˜‰) I know you are surrounded with life's riches- the love of friends, family, and festive spirit.

We love ya!
Amanda & her minions
๐Ÿ˜ฝ๐Ÿ˜ฝ๐Ÿ˜ฝ๐Ÿ˜ฝ๐Ÿ˜ฝ

Louise and David said...

๐Ÿ’ŒDear Tricia,

๐Ÿ“…Our calendar tells us that you will begin a sixth round of chemo treatment tomorrow.๐Ÿ’‰ We strive always to stay in the cycle with you๐ŸŒŒ...imagining the stages you have described for us, sharing your hopes, applauding your determination,and sending healing energy your way.๐Ÿ”ฅ May today's moments of quiet and calm give you all the strength you need to face tomorrow.๐Ÿ”ฎ

Lots of love,
Louise and David๐Ÿ’•