Sunday 25 June 2017

Summer blooms

I'm sure all my Canadian friends and family would agree that summer days slip away so much faster than the winter ones.  I just came inside from sitting on the deck with mom and dad after having dinner out there.  Love that perfect air.

On the health front, I had my appointment with Dr. Stewart, the breast oncologist, last Monday.  First on the task list from that visit was look at the rest of my body for possible metastases - bone scan and CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis.  Both were scheduled quickly - one Thursday and one yesterday. Will review the results when I see Dr. Stewart again 2 weeks from tomorrow.  From that appointment I also learned that the chemo I had post mastectomy surgery wouldn't have covered the brain as the blood-brain barrier would protect the brain from those chemicals.  So likely the cells that caused the tumours in my brain have been around since before the mastectomy.  Apparently they only see maybe 1 of those cases a year (rare is a 4-letter word sometimes). Doesn't change the plan forward but does answer some questions I had.

So some more waiting - 2 weeks for the "beyond the brain" picture and about 2.5 months for the brain picture.  I had some new side effects creep up this past week - muscle spasms in back and neck - that impacted my sleep considerably.  I now have another medication and a few other tricks to mitigate but it derailed my week a bit.

Outside of that, I was able to have a few more visits with some friends and family - including an awesome unexpected coffee with my cousin Sonia who was in town, an ice cream with Tasha and her family to celebrate her birthday, and watching Davis and Jack at one of each of their soccer and ball hockey games. I'm making some plans for the next 2.5 waiting months to get stronger mentally and physically and to live as fully as I can within energy (and budget!) constraints.  My family continues to provide me with incredible care (and friendship) and the support, energy, thoughts and prayers from so many people constantly fuel me.

June 21 also came and went, marking 20 years from golf day 1997 when this whole cancer story started.  Rather insane what has happened since then, and rather remarkable that I'm still alive and living life considering all of that.  I received a beautiful flower delivery (above) on Friday - this year's golf day at PwC. 2 PwC partners sent it - Scott drove me to the hospital and Dave was in my golfing 5-some back in June 1997.

Beautiful flowers, beautiful people, beautiful life.  Cheers.  Tricia


7 comments:

BJ said...

Dear Tricia,
Thank you for sharing all that is happening in your beautiful life. Sorry that you are experiencing new side effects. In spite of them, you seem to be coping well and we hope they will soon be under control. We continue to pray and hope, and keep you always in our minds and hearts.
Love, BJ and Bob

Christine said...

Once again, Tricia, you are an inspiration to live each day to the fullest and appreciate each present moment that we have. We continue to send lots of love, prayers, and positive energy your way each and every day.
Love Christine and Ron

Mary Ellen said...

Beautiful Tricia,
Thanks again for your new posting, You continue to amaze us with your attitude, your inner strength, and your outlook on life.
You are remarkable. Our minds and hearts continue to be filled with thoughts and love of you.

Love and prayers,
Mary Ellen & Bob
xoxo

Marcia said...

Dear Beautiful Tricia,

Thank you for this update. So full of information, but more importantly full of you spirit - which continues to amaze and inspire!
You will be in my thoughts and prayers - know that you are loved and how much we wish for good things in your life.

Love, Marcia and Dennis xoxoxo

Michele said...

Dear Tricia,
You are the epitome of living in the here & now and appreciating the beauty around you. Loving thoughts and prayers continue to go out to you.
πŸ€— 😘 Michele

Louise and David said...


πŸ’B EAUTIFUL describes
πŸŽ†E verything about you, Tricia!
πŸ’‘A ll your thoughts are
πŸ’«U plifting and inspirational, even after
🎭T wenty years of battling cancer.
🌼I n this time of waiting, our hopes are
❤F ueled by your
🌿U pbeat spirit and determination to
πŸ“’L ive life to the full.

πŸ’ŒWith the positive energy of lots of love,
Louise and DavidπŸ’•

Carol said...

Tricia
Love and prayers to a wonderful and inspirational woman.Give your Mom and Dad a hug from us and Marie be careful at Superstore πŸ˜‰πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–