Tuesday 24 February 2015

Mr. Potato Head

So my Cardio MRI and appointment with the cardiologist last Friday afternoon indicated my heart is faring ok with the chemo so far. A slight change but nothing reportable.  Great news.  Bloodwork this early morning looked pretty good as well - maybe even a slight improvement from last round. Whether my improved hemaglobin had anything to do with my focus on eating high iron and protein beef, spinach, quinoa over the past 4 days I'm not certain but I'm happy regardless. So all clear for Round 3.  The heart results even make it more likely I'll get the 6 rounds in.  Which is key for me - this door has to get closed, but I want filler in all the cracks and a few extra nails to keep the risk of it reopening to a very small percentage.

Since my last post the grey lightened each day as I'd hoped and by week 3 I even tried a bit of work out for a few hours of each day.  I managed to get some tangible things done to contribute to a global internal project and enjoyed the taste or normal life that I was craving.  Also a bit more tiring than I had expected - turns out "week three good" is Sooooooo much better than "week three grey" but it is still not normal "pre chemo normal life good".  In any case, got through the week and managed a few visits with friends and family, knowing the storm is coming tomorrow.

I explained to a few that saw me this past while, as a blonde or brunette, that I probably look better than I feel when they complemented me on how well I look.  I'm kind of like a Mr. Potato Head right now...before I put on all my parts, my hearing aids, reading glasses, makeup, hair, breasts and neck banadages, I look a lot different.  But with parts ready to go, it seems to work and no one would guess I'm sick at all.  And while I don't have an issue with my bald head whatsooever, the energy it takes to even just respond to a stranger who gives you the sympathetic "look" is exhausting.  So sometimes the Potato Head allows for less energy lost.

I know all of you don't care what I look like and just love and support the potato and what's inside, and I'm so grateful that you do :)  Cheers


5 comments:

Sonia said...

Good Morning Tricia!

The news about your how your heart is doing and about the results of your blood work makes my heart happy :)

You are absolutely right when you saw we love and support you, what's inside and your outlook on life too! I must say though, you look great as a blond :) Hot!

Cheers to you and Mr. Potatoe Head

Love Sonia

BJ said...

Laughing out loud, Tricia.
While not underplaying the seriousness of it all, your description of getting it all together was really funny.
I will never look at Mr. Potato Head in quite the same way again.
Good news about the heart. We are hoping that the next round will be less trying than the last and we will keep our positive and loving thoughts going your way.
Love the blonde look--also the style.

Love, BJ

Marcia said...

Hi Tricia,
I love you as a blonde! Well, actually, I just love you!!
I am thinking of you every day, but especially as you near your next treatment. Grateful for the good news parts, and for your sense of humor and strength. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Love, Marcia

Louise and David said...

Dear Tricia,
Well, today I finally caught on to the importance of your being able to last all 6 rounds in this grueling treatment process. As you say, it is key for you.

So, the news about your heart faring ok and your blood work showing some slight improvement has me cheering in your corner, giving you encouragement and willing you back into the ring.

Already into the third round, you are pacing yourself to last the course by eating well, working out and conserving energy.
At the same time as you are anticipating the coming storm, you are keeping your mind strong by drawing on the memory of pre-chemo, normal-life good compared to week-three grey and week-three good. You're even making yourself look better than you feel; and maybe making yourself (and your supporters)feel a little better by looking so good.

Round after round, I have a clear image of you firmly closing the door on this cancer, hammering it shut with extra nails and sealing all the cracks with filler.

Oh, Ms Potato Head, you are winning the game!

Love you lots,
Louise and David

Mary Ellen said...

Thanks Tricia. Your latest post is awesome.
And what's inside is even more amazing than what's on the outside! ( Must admit, you're smashing as a blonde). Your courage, strength, attitude and sense of humour shine through with such clarity.

Love and prayers,
Bob & Mary Ellen