Sunday 23 May 2010

Blowing out the candles and Lighting up the Night

While the past weeks have continued to be a little too busy, the past week has been filled with lots of birthday celebrations - from cake with my Survivor girls to several voice messages, gorgeouse flowers, calls with people singing on the other end, even Facebook friends wishes, ending in a wonderful dinner with my family (including Tasha and Talyn) on Friday. It was one of my most favourite birthdays ever, despite a very crazy day at work. I received many gifts, the most unique and precious of all - a morning call from my cousin (little sister) Amy, to say Happy Birthday and tell me that now I have a little girl named Mireya to share my birthday with me - she had just been born a few hours before the call!


I plan to just try to keep celebrating all the way through Grandma Gunn's birthday tomorrow, Jack & Davis' birthdays June 4th, to my 3rd transplant 2 year birthday June 9th to Amy's birthday June 13th and Tasha's birthday June 14th. And anyone else's in between! And by then, I'll be off prednisone and probably celebrate that too...


Speaking of celebrations (which often include balloons) - I mentioned in my last post I am the Honoured Hero for the 2010 Light the Night walk for Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. For those of you who have been part of "Tricia's Trotters" in the past, you know that the 5 KM walk is held at dusk and everyone walking gets a balloon that lights up. White balloons for survivors, red for supporters and gold for those walking in memory of cancer warriors. Kind of a cool picture, these lit balloons bobbing up and down along the river (or in the trees in Vancouver!) as the sun sets. A chance to celebrate life. And all funds raised go to research and patient services for blood-related cancers.


I will be at both the Calgary (September 25th) and Saskatoon (September 18th) walks as the Honoured Hero, and would love to walk with you if you are able to make it. You can register on the team by clicking here http://my.e2rm.com/TeamPage.aspx?Lang=en-CA&TSID=273541 and if you can't make it but want to make a donation you can view my fundraising page at
http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?SID=2611188

So celebrate the extra day of the weekend tomorrow and I hope to see you in September! Cheers

3 comments:

BJ said...

Wow, what a busy month. You sure know how to celebrate. Although I can't be in either Calgary or Saskatoon to walk with you, I will be there in both spirit and donation. Thanks for the up-date.
Love, BJ

Mary Ellen said...

Hi Tricia,

You've been in our hearts and minds as our Hero for a long time, and it's fabulous that you will now be the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Honored Hero at Light the Night this year. I'll be there to join you & your team as we celebrate life.

Lots of love,
Mary Ellen

Louise and David said...

Hi Tricia,
We were amazed to read that your latest birthday was one of the best for you. How is that possible? You must truly be able to "live in the moment" in spite of your day-to-day struggles. By example, you keep right on inspiring us to do the same.

Congratulations to your cousin, Amy, on her daughter's timely arrival. Mireya will always be cause for a double celebration on your shared May 21st birthday.

It looks like the coming days promise to be filled with birthday and other celebrations for you. Enjoy each and every one of them! You can be sure that we will be toasting you and Brandon on June 9 as you celebrate two years since your third bone-marrow transplant. Wow! No wonder you have been chosen as this year's Honoured Hero at the Light the Night Events in Calgary and Saskatoon.

Thanks for reminding us about this year's walk, Tricia. We loved hearing again the significance of the white, red and gold coloured balloons. We also appreciated your explanation concerning the use of the funds that are raised each year. We will definitely be supporting you and your team from afar.

Here in Scotland we did not get the May 24th long weekend. After a two-month holiday, we are not complaining, though. Retirement is turning out to be very good time in our lives.

Cheers and lots of love,
Louise and David