Saturday 4 July 2009

June 20ths

I am sitting on my new sofa in my new condo, blogging on my new wireless network serviced by my new wireless router. New, new, new! I finally got possession of my place June 16th and spent that week gradually moving in and accepting deliveries of furniture. The Antonini moving group (mom, dad, my brother and I) were pretty exhausted by the end of it all. Dad's friend Wade generously donated his truck for us to transport the large items (mattress, boxspring and BBQ), and the rest made it by way of the Jeep Liberty, Jeep Commander, and Nissan Xtrail. Dad and I also tested our logic skills when assembling my new bed and the BBQ I won last year in the Home Lottery. You start to hate that guy "Allen" who invented the Allen wrench after too many assemblies!
While it took a few days to get used to living alone again, with no roommates to talk to and no Daisy greeting me in the morning, it's quite surreal being in this place now. I really love the space and while starting from scratch again (not even a fork!) has been expensive, it's really been refreshing to create everything. My patio even has furniture on it now. The location is awesome - every time I drive the 10 minutes to work I smile and say "unbelievable". My first night that I slept here was June 20th... a year ago June 20th I was in the hospital and had just had a CT scan to confirm I had severe typhilitis post transplant #3, and I was waiting to hear if the doctors were going to need to do a very risky surgery to deal with the inflamed small and large intestine. If someone had of told me "don't worry, a year from now, you'll be sitting in your new condo, be back at work, and feeling better than ever" I probably would have screamed at them. I guess you just never know what can happen in a year, or twelve. 12 years ago June 20th was the day I played golf and ended up in the hospital with leukemia.

Speaking of health, the week before I moved in, I had all my one-year post transplant tests (add another hole in my back-bone) and so far so good. Now, remarkably I don't have to see Dr. Brown for 6 months and only need bloodwork in 3 months time. I've had a cold for just over a week now, but it's just a cold and otherwise I continue to feel great.



Lots of action packed into this past month before, during and since the move. The boys turned 3 with a fantastic pirate and princess party...they are really little boys now and the babies are gone. "Wanna play golf?" and "Hey guys" are repeated phrases now - they are so funny pretending and discovering and commentating the entire time. Certainly one of the best benefits from my NYC life being interrupted 3 years ago has been getting to know those little guys every week.

Speaking of birthdays, Tasha finally caught up to me in age after a long three week period of being reminded that I was older than her...we celebrated her birthday with a barbecue and even dragged the entire guestlist at her party into a group Sing Star competition. The birthday girl herself won the challenge, after a final sing-down against her husband!

I've even been golfing this month. I joined a women's league that a bunch of girls at work joined, and have golfed 9 holes after work about 3 times. Lessons were included in the league membership, so I've made it to 3 of those as well. My first one was the evening after my bone marrow biopsy - Dad had to drive me as I had sedation for the biopsy - I was extra "relaxed" and my swing and results were pretty good! It's been pretty wonderful to be able to get out and play on some beautiful days.

I'm looking forward to enjoying the summer in Calgary with a few plans here and there for some weekends away. Last night mom, dad and I had plans to go to dinner for mom's birthday - I secretly picked up Colleen from the airport and took her to the restaurant! She was definitely surprised and excited. We're heading to the Stampede grounds shortly for some rides and some fun while Colleen is in town for the weekend.

Who knows what the next June 20th will bring. For now, I'm just going to enjoy the summer on my new patio. Happy summer!

8 comments:

BJ said...

Dear Tricia,
Congratulations on your new home, your starting over, your job, your new activities, and most particularly, your regained health. What a memorable year this last one has been. May you continue to toast life by living it to the fullest. You go, girl!

Love, BJ

Mary Ellen said...

Hi Tricia,

What an up-beat posting, with such good pictures and entertaining news. It's wonderful to hear about your new move and how much you like your condo.Ditto for the job, friends, activities, and especially your health. Awesome! Thanks.

Enjoy the Stampede! Yee-Haw!

Love,
Mary Ellen xoxoxo

ed said...

Happy Summer, Tricia

Lots of love

Uncle Ed

kelsey said...

can't wait to share a glass of wine with you on your new patio! I stayed with Lisa last week in Penticton and she says HI!

Cancervive is off on another adventure. Ann and I are headed to Seattle to bike to Portland over the weekend.

Can't wait to see the golf swing!

KElsey

La ma tante préférée de l'autre said...

Naturally,reading you feeling soooo gooood
brings tears of joy to my eyes.
What a year! So unbelievable!
HAPPY SUMMER TO YOU TOO!
(I just love summer)

George and I are going sailing for a few days.
Take Care

Louise and David said...

Congratulations Tricia!
Welcome to the refreshing newness of your own living space - so perfectly located for your work and play.

There is something about your latest blog entry that is especially challenging and inspirational. I think it has to do with the art of finding balance in face of the unknown.

Your focus on four June 20ths shows just how well you have learned to sit in the present moment, reflect on the past and anticipate the future - all with a sense of wonder and thanksgiving. (I love the part where you say that one of the "best benefits" of having to leave New York three years ago has been getting to know your nephews in the here-and-now.)

Even your choice of pictures highlights the importance of doing something special with the annual rituals in our lives. Your photos let us share the fun and surprise of this year's birthday celebrations for Jack and Davis at 3, for Tasha at 35 and for your Mom at 60. Today's enjoyments are also the stuff of memories!

We are especially pleased to hear that you have been doing a bit of golfing lately. You must truly be "feeling better than ever". In fact, before long you may decide to come to St. Andrews where you can practice your skills in the Home of Golf. We hope so; you are welcome anytime.

In closing, we want you to know that the people you refer to as the "Antonini moving group" have become "movers" in our lives, too, Tricia. Like you, they are alive, strong and purposeful. How can we be otherwise?
Lots of love,
Louise and David

Sonia said...

Hey Tricia!

Glad to hear the move went well and you are enjoying your new pad!!! Good for you.

Love,

Sonia

Marcia said...

Hi Tricia, I just saw Colleen on the weekend and got caught up on all your activities. Once again, I am impressed with your energy and determination.
Enjoy the rest of the summer. Lots of love from Marcia