Saturday 21 March 2009

Spring has Sprung

The warm weather of the past week, arriving promptly for the first day of Spring, has given me another boost of energy...timely for all the great things I have been up to. Living life continues to be interesting and eventful and I am so grateful.

The week before last I worked 3 half days before I drove up the QE2 to Edmonton for another tune up by Dr. Aung - he continues to be very pleased with my continued improvement and even told me he was so proud of me! In between his treatments I was delighted to attend the Citadel Theatre's Julius Caesar with my cousin Amy to watch her talented husband Ryland perform as Octavius. I was fully recharged by the time I drove back the next afternoon.

The following day I hopped on a plane to make a quick but wonderful weekend trip to Houston, Texas to witness one of the most incredible performances I have ever seen, and visit a cousin of mine that has inspired me over the years. Martin took a courageous leap when he auditioned for the Houston Symphony Chorus last year, and much to his surprise (not mine), he was accepted as a tenor in one of the most prestigious choral groups in the U.S. On Saturday March 14th, they performed an amazing piece with a limited accompaniment by the Houston Symphony - Bruckner's Mass in E Minor - at Jones Hall and I was lucky enough to be there, next to my aunt Mary Ellen. I can only describe the performance as an unforgettable experience beyond musical. To say that I am proud that my cousin was one of the voices that created this experience is an understatement.

Outside of the Saturday evening performance (pictured with Martin, Mary Ellen and Jeffery) I managed to pack in some other fun stuff despite some unlikely cold and rainy weather in "sunny" Houston! Dinner at Reef with Martin Friday was exceptional for both food and conversation. Viewing various waterlife (catfish and a real Finding Nemo scene) was fun at the Houston Aquarium Saturday. Sunday Mary Ellen treated me to a glorious lunch at a funky restaurant (Texas sized French Toast and berries were only 2 of the 4 courses) before we took in some amazing art at the Museum of Fine Arts. I was in town for less than 48 hours but it was full of great moments. Reconnecting with Martin and meeting Jeffery, along with spending time with Mary Ellen really made me feel even more fortunate for the family I have.

Since returning Sunday night from Houston, I've worked another 3 half-days at work, done some volunteering with new leukemia patients, played make-believe with Davis and Jack, and lunched with Tasha.

Dr. Brown, my primary bone marrow transplant doctor for over eleven years, emailed me this week...not with any information about my health, but to let me know that he extending his efforts against cancer by riding in the Ride to Conquer Cancer in June this year. Chris (as he signs his emails) worked tirelessly to move my application forward in 2007-2008 to obtain approval from Health Canada, and is certainly part of the reason I am alive today. He's also a really great guy. If you would like to support him on his trek and the Alberta Cancer Foundation - visit his site (which shows a picture of him riding with Lance Armstrong) for details. http://www.conquercancer.ca/site/TR/Events/Alberta2009?px=1747545&pg=personal&fr_id=1282


I can almost hear the snow melting...aaahh.

6 comments:

BJ said...

Dear Tricia,

What an exciting life you lead! I wish I could have been in Houston to hear both the Mass and the Brahms concerto.
It is also great that you are back at work and feeling so well. We watch in wonder and joy your growing return to good health. Keep thriving.

Love, BJ

Mary Ellen said...

Hi Tricia,
Your description of your weekend in Houston brought it all back to me. I'm so glad you were there and that we were able to enjoy a good time together. What a weekend! Thanks.

You sure have a busy schedule, and I know you're loving being back at work.You're awesome and it's wonderful seeing you looking and feeling so well.

Thanks for the info on Dr. Brown. He's pretty amazing, isn't he?

Now we're just waiting for Spring to be sprung ( some time after this 20 cm. of snow in the forecast ). Lots of our piles of snow melted while I was away, and I don't think this new snow will stick around for long. After all, it is officially Spring!

Love you lots,
Mary Ellen xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Tricia,

You never cease to amaze me - your zest for life is unparalled! Even though I haven't been on the blog for a while, I still think of you and say a prayer with your name on it every day.

Life is good!
Cheers and love,
Michele

La ma tante préférée de l'autre said...

Hi Tricia,

I can really feel and smell the Sring from your blog........

Take Care


Dominique and George

Louise and David said...

Dear Tricia,
Spring certainly has sprung in this energetic account of your latest activities. You make every day an adventure in living; and you inspire the rest of us to do the same.

I loved reading about the people in Edmonton, Houston and Calgary who continue to enrich your life in various ways. As ever, the accompanying pictures add a visual element to your lively descriptions. Of course, "the pick of the pics" is the one of you, Martin, Mary Ellen and Jeffrey. Thank you!

I took time to visit Chris Brown's personal page on the "Ride to Conquer Cancer" site. He claims that his motivation to do more in the fight against cancer comes from his individual patients. It seems that inspiration flows both ways between dedicated doctors and their courageous patients. I guess that's why Dr. Aung can say that he, too, is so proud of you.

My favorite line in your latest posting is the one about feeling "even more fortunate for the family I have". Today, our hearts are spilling over with that same sense of awe and thanksgiving.

Keep well, Tricia! We know that you will continue to enjoy your work, your play and your associations with the people you meet each day. That is your strength and through it, you give heart to others.

Lots of love,
Louise and David

Sonia said...

Hi Tricia!

That is great that you are traveling and enjoying your adventures!

Good for you... yes, it is Spring! Might be here to stay this time too!

Have a great weekend!

Sonia