Wednesday 30 April 2008

Qi Qi Qi

It's been quite a week since I found out that the trial was approved - here's the health highlights:

Thursday I received a call from the clinic to find out my May 23rd date had to be changed in order to get all of the baseline testing done and results back in time for admission. So mark a new date down (the last change I hope) - June 12th, with collection from Brandon on June 11th and admission to hospital June 2nd. This date change is a bit of a mind-test for me, as that means feeling exposed with no chemo for three more weeks. Thursday evening before bed I felt a bit shivery, and my temperature showed I had a mild fever, which continued through the night.

Friday morning I called the clinic and went in for various tests...it seems every so many Fridays I feel I need a nose swab (worse than getting an IV put in, in my mind)! Anyway, I went home and slept, hoping that I would feel well enough to attend my Qi Gong 2-day workshop on the weekend.

Since the fever had not come up again, I was able to make it to Qi Gong Saturday and the rest of the weekend is difficult to explain. As I'd mentioned a few weeks ago, I had several strong messages from different people to see Dr. Aung, and I know why now. He is easily one of the kindest, most peaceful, intelligent, intuitive, healing people I have ever met. I felt happier and stronger just being near him.

Qi Gong (pronounced Chee Gong, not Shi Gong as I had until I attended) is one method used in Chinese Medicine, which involves breathing and concentration exercises to build up, and move your Qi, or energy, to direct it to parts of your body and keep yourself in a state of total harmony and wellness. While it sounds really intangible (and perhaps a bit crazy), there is actually a very standard, tangible and somewhat technical framework to follow in doing it, and I was able to truly FEEL it working. I realize now that the June timing for transplant is perfect - it gives me more time to practice and get stronger!

Dr. Aung took a few minutes after the first day to see me personally, a generous action, and after looking at a few things, inserted some acupuncture needles "with love and kindness" into my legs, arms and neck, for various reasons. After about 3 minutes, I had a strange feeling and it took me a while to figure out what it was. I realized it was my baby toe, against the vinyl chairback that my feet were resting on. I could feel my baby toe. I haven't been able to feel my feet for the past 18 months, as one of the chemo drugs I've been on has a neuropathy effect and over time, the entire front half of my foot has become numb. So when I suddenly felt all of my toes, it was quite an overwhelming experience.

Sunday night Brandon, Dana, Davis and Jack came over for dinner, and I had enough energy to easily last the night, dancing with the boys, playing the Wii with Brandon...my Qi was strong!

Tuesday I relayed the events of the weekend to my physiotherapist, and discovered he trained with Dr. Aung for a while! So this Friday he's going to do some acupuncture, after he contacts Dr. Aung to consult...just another reinforcement of Dr. Aung's role in my journey. Crazy.

Tomorrow I will have a bone marrow aspiration at the hospital, where they draw out bone marrow from the bone above my butt - this test is one of the most important on the list, as it will indicate the state of the marrow, and I must be in remission to remain as a candidate in the trial. I'll report the results as usual! For now, my mind is on what I'm going to have to eat, as I'm off to meet a friend for lunch. Life!

5 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Hi Tricia,
Bob & I have marked the new date - June 12th. Your weekend at the Qi Gong workshop sounds fascinating and the fact that some feeling returned to your toes is amazing! I'm happy you liked Dr. Aung so well, and that the whole experience was so positive. We'll be thinking of you tomorrow when you're at the hospital and once again send lots of love your way.

Love & Admiration,
Mary Ellen xoxoxo

Sonia said...

Hi Tricia!

I am so happy to hear about the new energy you have! Chad had actually told me that you went and tried acupuncture and Tasha was thinking of going.

The date change only gives you more time to become stronger and develope more positive energy.

Thanks for sharing this positive energy with us. I hope you had a great lunch! You signed off your post with Life! I sign off with Live!

Sonia

ed said...

Hi Tricia,

Thank you for sharing your Qi Gong experience. I would love to talk to you again.

With love always

Uncle Ed

Louise and David said...

Dear Tricia,
I hope yesterday's lunch date was enjoyable and life-giving for you -both in food and in friendship. You certainly are determind to stay "in the moment" as much as possible.

Today we will be thinking of you as you endure the test to determine the state of your bone marrow. Honestly, just the NAMES of procedures like "bone-marrow aspiration" and "nose swab" make me shiver. The fact that you already know what they feel like must make you cringe even as you step forward to have them done again.

Thanks for updating us on the time-line for your transplant. Calling this further delay a "mind-test" has to be an understatement of your initial reaction to the news. Waiting 3 more weeks without the protection of chemotherapy must be a frightening prospect, to say the least. Once you enter the hospital on June 2nd you may feel that you are finally on your way. I hope so.

I have been visiting the website of the Qi Gong Institute, watching demos, reading info and listening to explanations. Your personal experience of this healing practice gives credence to all that I have learned about this gentle way to a calm mind, healthy body and strong spirit. The surprising connection of your own physiotherapist to Dr. Aung is a Qi all of its own.

Please tell Brandon that we love him all the more for his brotherly presence in your life and for his generous bone marrow donation. We will be thinking of him on June 11 for sure.

For now, our calendars are circled for June 2, 11, 12 but our thoughts and prayers are with you every single day, Tricia.

Much love and lots of Qi Qi Qi
Louise and David

BJ said...

Dear Tricia,

Your new dates are noted and marked on the calendar. Our thoughts and prayers are with both you and Brandon, and of course, with your Mom and Dad.
Hope and love to you all, BJ