Wednesday 26 March 2008

Energy

Time seems to have evaporated since my last post, and I realized I better post an update - I am packing for a quick trip to Vegas with Mom and Colleen this weekend and if I don't post now, it will be a book by the time I do!

I've celebrated a few holidays these past few weeks - a wonderful dinner with some of my Irish relatives, Marlene and Art, and Easter with Dana, Brandon, Jack, Davis, Mom and Dad (or Papa as the boys now call him). We had a lot of fun and I managed to keep Grandma Antonini's rice krispie cake tradition going with a bunny cake (and some not so lovely eggs) which the boys truly loved. It is still amazing to me how fast they are growing up and how funny they are.



On the health front, I continue to feel good and am gaining strength. The menu and activity plans mom and I have been following are really giving me more core strength that will be key for the next few months. The application for the clinical trial was couriered to Ottawa on March 12, so I am finally in the last stages of waiting. With Ottawa having 30 days to review the application, April 11th looked like the date to expect an answer. As the roller coaster continues however, that changed this week when I found out there was a small "wrinkle" with the application that had been identified early on- the good news is that the teams in New York and Calgary figured out how to iron out the wrinkle and I signed some paperwork yesterday to assist with that. The bad news is that the time it took to iron it out may push the April 11th date forward slightly. Fortunately, since my last post the clinic already changed my "pencilled in" date of May 1st to May 23rd, because the pre-transplant timeline looked a little tight even if there were no wrinkles. Soooo.....I continue to hope for no more wrinkles, and wait with fingers (and toes) crossed.

As so many of you now follow Tasha's blog as well, you probably already know that she experienced a scary "wrinkle" of her own last week, when she had a strange reaction at a restaurant that made her heart rate elevate and her blood pressure drop and took her to emergency at the hospital. It seems she likely has developed a severe food allergy, triggered possibly by being immune-suppressed while on this recent chemotherapy. While it was an awful experience, Tasha looks at positively as usual - "if I only have to deal with a food allergy, then great!". She continues to be a wonderful mentor and support for me.

Speaking of positive energy, I've received several messages that I should be doing some Qi Gong, a phrase I didn't know about until 10 days ago (I actually had to go on wikipedia.com!) Since then, 3 separate dinners/lunches with 3 unrelated people have made me aware of it, as well as the same doctor who teaches it. When the third person mentioned it, I kind of laughed and thought "Okay, I get it" and signed up for the end of April. It will be (hopefully) be perfect timing to learn new techniques that can help me before heading into the hospital again.


I continue to learn so much from this ride of life we are on. Lately I seem to be absorbing everything even more fully than ever - whether it's at a concert, a hockey game, a dinner, a lunch, watching the starry look on Talyn's face when I do "Tricia tickles", enjoying a personal dance with Davis, counting down Jack's "fireplace jump" trick, or just driving the Deerfoot, I have been smiling a lot lately at virtually nothing. I am surrounded so much by so many positive energy sources, both nearby and in the distance, and I am so incredibly thankful for that.

And while real life continues to be tremendous, treatment or no treatment, I am looking forward to escaping to the surreal world of Las Vegas! And while I'd love to say I'll report when I return, mom reminded me tonight "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"! Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Louise and David said...

Dear Tricia,
Have a great weekend, yourself!
I like the idea that "what happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas" - except, of course, your winnings. Bring back lots of those. Good luck to you, Marie and Colleen!

Once again, your photos are a highlight of this latest posting. Your bunny cake is a perfect match for the stuffed rabbits that Jack and Davis got for Easter. Grandma Antonini loved to create duplicate designs like that, too, if not with rice krispies then with fimo. We really appreciate your updated pictures of the boys. Snapshots are a great way for us to keep track of their growth.

Thanks for letting us know that a "small wrinkle" in your clinical trial application has changed your treatment timeline. I suppose that's why the original dates were simply pencilled in. We will make alterations on our calendars but the constancy of our prayers and the intensity of our positive thoughts will not change in any way.

It's great to know that you are feeling well and that you are gaining strength in preparation for all that you will experience in the next few months. You have made us so curious about Qi Gong that we, too, are going to do a bit of research. If we can generate energy that is transferrable, we may just take up the practice ourselves, in support of you across the miles. I'll let you know what we find out about that aspect of Qi Gong.

It is a relief for us to learn that your friend, Tasha may have had an allergic reaction to food in her recent medical emergency. The side effects of chemotherapy seem to be unpredictable, varied and downright dangerous. We cannot help but be grateful that you and Tasha have one another's support and vigilance as you fight your separate battles with cancer.

Your experience of absorbing everything more fully than ever is a fascinating concept, Tricia. I have a feeling that right now you are seeing things with your heart even more than you are seeing them with your eyes. You love everything you see and it makes you smile. It does me so much good to hear you say that "real life continues to be tremendous" and that you are "incredibly thankful". Wow!

You know, Tricia, you are the one going to Las Vegas this coming weekend but today we feel like real winners, thanks to you.
Lots of love,
Louise and David

Mary Ellen said...

Thanks once again for the up-dates and pictures, Tricia. We'll just keep on praying for you. I'm going to check out that Qi Gong thing on Wikipedia, so that I know what you're talking about!

Have a great time in Las Vegas!Here's another Las Vegas quote:
" Las Vegas - my favorite desert mirage "
- Val Saintsbury

Have a blast in that famous oasis in the desert!

Love,
Mary Ellen xoxoxo

ed said...

Hi Tricia,

I think Qi Gong is an excellent idea. My experience of it is that it cultivates chi - the life energy in a persons body. The stronger your chi the healthier you are. Tai Chi contains a lot of the ancient Qi Gong exercises. If you are able to feel the chi in your body it is great. I wish you the best and it has given me renewed interest in it. My love continues to go out to you.

Uncle Ed

BJ said...

Dear Tricia,

Our best wishes that all will be in place by the 23rd and that you will have come safely through the preparations and be ready for your next big step. Our love and admiration for you continue and our prayers will be with you throughout.

Love, BJ